Community Agriculture and Environmental protection project international is a non political, non profit making body. It is an educative and a research body that was born with the mission to enhance community health, Agriculture and to enhance environmental protection within Cameroonian communities and beyond.
CAEPA was created as a result of the consideration of the following factors.
1) Agriculture is the back bone of our economy.
2) Agriculture is top among our efforts in Cameroon in the fight against poverty which is a global challenge.
3) Eighty percent (80%) of people in Cameroon still live in rural areas and solely depend on agriculture for survival.
4) Our environment is and will remain the only natural habitation for humanity if care is not taken Mankind will be eliminated from his environment.
5) Health is the basic requirement for a productive and progressive community and it is only achievable through what we eat, the environment we live in and a psychological well being.
6) Principles will forever remain the principal requirement for any positive change with respects to health, agriculture and environment.
CAEPA has the mandate to enhance the living standards of the local people, lifting them from grass to grace, from poverty to prosperity. Through the teaching of environmentally friendly agricultural practices, for the production of highly nutritious food at low cost.
A vision is a mental picture of reality that when focused on can one day be converted into an actuality.Community agriculture and Environmental protection Association (CAEPA) has a dream that in few years to come, Cameroon and Africa will become a save place to live in with healthy people, self sufficient quality food and a conducive environment.
Community transformation or community development is like a lost dream. In Cameroon, Government and local Government (city councils) have for long carried out a lot of community projects. Some prematurely terminated and some saw their completion but failed to serve their communities for the purposes intended as a result of poor management and lack of sustainability.
CAEPA for the past few years have been on a search for the reason behind the failure and delay in community development especially in Cameroon where when compared with South East Asian countries which in the 70s were at the same level with African communities today are far advanced while some Africans countries are rather retrogressing from the position most of them stood back then.
Sustainable development is therefore central in the mission of CAEPA. In Building new communities, new Agricultural approaches, new health approaches, sound environmental policies are necessary. Disseminating to the local people quality information in all these areas is our due responsibility. Our coming into communities is not to sing and dance the same song that has been sang and dance but through profound and prolific research a panacea for community transformation has been discovered that has to do with developing the indigenous people through full human development, to develop and transform their communities.
CAEPA, as an educative and research body with interest on strategic issues of importance like health, Agriculture and Environment has found out that poverty that seems to be the main reason for delay in community transformation isn't a physical challenge because Africa and Cameroon in particular has been blessed with a very rich natural heritage e.g. fertile soil, forest, precious stones and underground oil, and a physically strong people. But when ignorance is in control, these people will still live more miserable lives. This therefore implies that poverty is the External effect of mental slumber that is poverty is the dependency on external factors as means due to a deficiency in mental development. With respect to this understanding our goal in Communities is to ensure that the local people have access to relevant information that can help them empower their mind for creativity and productivity
You can't talk of sustainable development with respect to agriculture, health and environment without first the development of the human resources who have to ensure the proper management, and control of the natural resources.
We believe in communities taking new steps towards sustainable Agriculture, health and Environmental preservation, and these changes must be orchestrated by the same occupant of their communities them selves, this is because we can't evade poverty in a community if the inhabitant are not ready to learn their way out of this long time monster. There are no two ways; we must accept responsibility for our own change and well being even when the signs are dim. Developing people help to enhance their financial status through ideas that are natural to their mental development thus CAEPA addresses issues of strategic importance in the following areas Agriculture, health, Environment.
CAEPA in each community hopes to ensure the achievement of the following objectives.
- The improvement of soil fertility with special focus on organic farming.
- The amelioration of human nutrition, health and the improvement of co-existence and co-prosperity of farmers.
- The enhancement of crop and livestock productivity at a low investment cost.
- The protection of Environment
- The Transformation of farmers into formatters - (community transformers and researchers.
- The full human development of the local people to enable them progress into other areas of impact and effective leadership in their communities and beyond.